Why Power Rangers Excels in the Representation Department


      This post will mainly serve as a small insight into a few example of representation in media can affect its platform.I know this post might be coming a little later than it should,but at least it's here now right?
      Now,when I hear about representation in media,the first thing that I thought of was Power Rangers.I know what you're probably thinking,"You mean that show for 8-12 year olds right?",well hear me out.As a kid,and even today,I loved Power Rangers.The whole 90's and cheesy aesthetic of the show,and most of its incarnations,mostly still hold up to today and I absolutely love it.Personally,I think that looking at really any of the many seasons and incarnations of the Power Rangers series is a great way to exemplify representation in media.
      To start of with a more generalized look into Power Rangers,if you take a look into each series individually,meaning Mighty-Morphin' (1993-1995) through Ninja Steel (2017-present),each and every single series of Power Rangers to-date has had at least one to two female rangers on the team.Now I know that representation is beyond merely the casting choices.It's how the product decides to portray those characters their representing.But I believe that Power Rangers depicts their female characters in a very positive light.By this,I mean that each series decides to portray their female characters and strong and vital parts of the team.To back up this claim,I'll be quoting a character from one of the more recent series,RJ,as he teaches the three new rangers about teamwork:
      "Theo,a team is a lot like a stool.You three are the legs-all equal.What happens if all the parts aren't equal? (RJ proceeds to kick off one of the stool legs Theo is sitting on,Theo falling over) That's right.The team falls on its butt.If the team's not ready,then none of you are ready."
       This quote back up the argument that even though there are female rangers,they aren't there to solely please the female audience.Each member of the ranger's team,male or female,are equal.If they weren't,then you might as well not even call them a team.To show an example of this,here is a short scene from the same series as the character I previously quoted,RJ,is from.Within this scene,if stereotypical gender norms were implemented,the show-writers would put Lily (the yellow female ranger) as the only who is inexperienced or weak.But instead it was opted for Casey (the red ranger) to be the inexperienced one,turning said stereotype on its head.Whilst Casey struggles to morph,Lily on the other hand is completely holding her own and this stays throughout the show,it depicting her as a strong member of the team.
      I now this post may be a little late but I thought this was a really good and interesting example of how representation can be done right in media.

   

Comments

Popular Posts